Followers

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Health....Impressions

I went to the community clinic today to know the result of my tubercular spot test and the nurse who attended to me said it is positive. She handed me a paper that tells where to get my x-ray. I wonder why it came out positive when my two succeeding sputum tests in the Philippines were negative. I pray it is still negative though. Seeing a doctor here is exceedingly expensive and I have no job yet:(.

Setting aside my health update, I though it might be good for me to write a bit of my impressions to my new abode.

1. Mall. I rarely see people in the mall as if no one is buying:). No matter how big the malls in Philippines are, there are always many people.
2. Street. The car stops in an intersection whether there is a car coming or not. When a driver in the Phi sees that there is no policeman around, he unloads or loads in an unloading zone or beat the red light. The bus only stops where they are designated to load and unload passengers.
2. People. Of course, people in the Philippines are ever friendly even if you do not really know them well. People here are so private and you hardly know your neighbor-especially at an apartment setting.
3. Houses. There is so much space between houses. In the Philippines, you can wave your hands from a window to say hi especially in squatter areas. You can even hear the slightest sound one can make especially if what separates you is wood or just thin concrete wall.
4. Music. Music or sound is modulated. Music in RP reaches the other planet. In the area where we are at, I have heard cars with very loud music as if you are in a carnival site. Jeeps/public transportation vehicles in RP usually have music turned on (some are terribly loud).
5. Skin color. There are tanning places where you pay a lot of money. Many people back home spend a lot of money just to have whiter skin. I am not among them. I love my color. Human thinking is very complicated- no satisfaction as on earth.
6. Visiting a doctor. You do not just go and see a doctor. You need to call to make an appointment. Health insurance is very important. In RP, you can visit any time as long as you have money and that the clinic is open.
7. Pets. Pets here are treated like member of the family. I was told by a couple that one of their couple friends who have no baby bought an expensive $1,000.00 dog and the dog has at least three designated rooms/spots in their house. Pets in RP are just merely pet and can sometimes be a food specially if it is a dog-azucena:).
8. Workers. I see many old people work in the store or malls. I seldom see old people employed in malls as cashier, etc...in RP: they are mostly young and not oldies. Companies advertising job usually attached this phrase "We are equal opportunity employer."
9. Minority. I often hear that minorities here have more edge over the nationals especially when applying for a job-(may be- I still need to prove it:)) . They are given better consideration. Minorities in RP are really minorities:( until the IPRA law came. Yet still, many minority groups are still not given attention to.

.........

3 comments:

  1. Its a strange world indeed. :D

    There is and has been a lot of discrimination here in the states which is why laws have been passed so that employers cannot discriminate against minorities, the elderly, disabled, etc. That's good because now older people can work as opposed to Pinas where there's a lot of discrimination (often blatant) against older workers.

    Good luck with the adjustment to life here. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:27 AM

    Hi,
    Thank you for sharing your experience at the St. Luke's. My mom got the news today that she will have to undergo a 6-month medication for being positive on the sputum test. I would like to email you and ask more about your medication.
    This is my email add: balayfashionjewelry@yahoo.com
    Thanks,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:12 AM

    Things are definitely different over here in the West compared with home. How are you doing? If possible, come up to Canada! it would be good to see you and your wife again!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete