Followers

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mountains

I am very glad that I am able to be with my wife after almost a year of being separated. I am adjusting well with the weather. It is a good time to arrive here this summer or it would have been too cold for me to endure if I arrive in winter.

Whenever I look out through the window and see the trees and mountains, I am tempted to think that I am in the province but would often soon realize that I am in a foreign country. How long will I be a foreigner? More so, the very cold weather and people around tells me that I am not in the Philippines anymore. I had to buy something to wear because I was not able to bring any jacket. In my first stop over on my way here, the feeling of being a foreigner sank in when I was with the crowd who were speaking different language than mine. They were fellow Asians but still they were not Filipino or Kalanguya in particular.

Assessing myself, I observed that whenever I go to a place, I would scout or either ask my wife if there are Filipinos in that place. Is it natural for anone who is a living in another country to look for his own tribe?

Yesterday, my wife accompanied me to a store. We were greeted by a greeter with "How are you doin'?" with a very formal face. I asked my wife if he was talking to us. He should not be a put in that section:). He might draw away customers:). While we were in the store, I kept looking at two persons who were of my color (nangisit:) ah, nem ansan) measuring up if they are Filipinos or not. They threw a look at me too but I did not have the courage to ask them. I was not sure if they were Filipinos but definitely Asians.

I took four items and was looking for the fitting room when a lady (I think a customer too) came near me to direct me after she noticed I was trying to look for something. Thank God for his angels-kind people. I bought 2 items. When I was to pay, the cashier said something, fast and slang that I did not hear well so I just smiled and nod a bit. He did not ask further quetions so I assume my gesture matched what he said.lol

There must be more to understand, learn and maybe even adapt.

5 comments:

  1. whew.hirap talaga nasa ibang bansa noh? pero at least finally, you are with Esther na and that is good..another good thing is that you will be celebrating your birthday in another country, d b?

    happy birthday to-wa!=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to your new homeland. We are so glad you are here. I hope everyone you meet values you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TruBlue3:11 PM

    Are you in Tacoma, Washington? If so, I think and I'm guessing your congressman there is named Dicks.

    Lots of Baguio and Cordillera folks in Bremerton and Seattle area. Might drive up there one of this days.

    Welcome to the good ol' Yu Es Eh!
    What happened to Bill? Any hint?

    Cheers to you and wife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kuya TB! good to see you again! We are in Spokane but might be moving somewhere in Vancouver, WA. Awan unay gamin ti pagpasyaran ditoy:) ken pagtrabahwan kadi nga ado.

    I have no clue of Bill too. I sometimes visit his blogsite but it looks like he has let it sleep for months like me:).

    Would be nice to see you when you come over.

    Blessings!

    Hope you are well kuya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TruBlue12:15 AM

    Nalaing nga agticket ti police of Spokane, hehe...

    Washington state is almost like Baguio in the old days, so green with lots of rain.

    Just be patient and enjoy the place while still unemployed but sooner or later, a job will appear in the horizon, even with the economic downside. Haan ka pay nga agpilpili ti trahaho.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete