Followers

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Payment???

How do you feel when you get into a taxi then the driver asks more than what is expected? Or when you want to ride in a tricycle and do not want to give you a ride because he wants more?

I have experienced many of these mostly in Manila:) Last Wednesday, I was with a Canadian friend and his family. When we reached our destination by riding on a tricycle, the driver was asking for more. My Canadian friend who is getting married on July 21 outrightly said, "No, I can only give to you the right fare!" Why are our co-Filipinos are that opportunist? What a bad picture! So far, I have heard good comments that "Mababait ang mga driver sa Baguio"( Drivers in Baguio are kind and honest). I do not want to sound here bias but I think this observation is true.

On the lighter side, however, this morning, I went to NSO(National Statistics Office) to get our authenticated marriage certificate. When I went to the CR(comfort room), I saw the janitor cleaning it before I went out. I went back because I wanted to just give some amount (knowing that most people who work in such places do not really receive that much). When I tried to give some amount (without acting like I am rich), he strongly declined! He exclaimed "Bawal"(Forbidden).

I took back my money (which I laid on the elevated area) and left. While leaving the place, it made me thinking what motivation drove him to resist! Is it out of his dedication to the work or..... I would like to think that he was doing it for good! May the good Lord bless Him! He did not even want an extra payment like the drivers I have encountered.

No comments:

Post a Comment